Wednesday, October 17, 2012

are you a yogi!?

I've recently found myself in the position of a yoga instructor. It should be said that I am not certified, nor am I an expert, however I do practice yoga from time to time and enjoy its meditative component. I used to be of the mindset, that if I wasn't a sweaty mess after a workout, it wasn't worth my time. I have since acknowledged that wellness is about more than just burning calories, resulting in a change of heart. Yoga is brilliant.

I will say it again: Yoga is brilliant. You should try it. Not only is it great for flexibility and agility (meaning you can do it till you're old and wrinkly), but yoga is wonderful for injury prevention. Most athletes practice some form of yoga because it enhances their performance. But don't be fooled, yoga isn't all about stretching and child's pose, there is a huge strength component involved. Try doing a few sun salutations with chaturanga push-ups. It's not easy!

If you're a little shy and put off by the fact that you can't touch your toes, don't worry!! Yoga is a practice. It's not something you master, just something you do every day (or more realistically, a few times a week) to enhance your mind and body. So whether you grab a friend and go to a class at the gym, or just grab a towel and do a few stretches in the privacy of your own bedroom, I encourage you to try it. Here's a great little beginner routine to try. 


The benefits of yoga are far-reachign and include: a more optimistic outlook, easing aches and stiff joints, improved sleep, body toning and a sense of calm. 

It's important to remember that yoga isn't about being able to put your feet behind your head. It's all about connecting the movement of your body to your breath. Rooting yourself in the constant inhale and exhalations. Sometime this weekend find a quiet corner and give in to your inner yogi. Trust me, your peace of mind (and lower back) will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment