Thursday, November 15, 2012

Low(er) Carb Thanksgiving:

It's that time of year! pumpkin pie, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy....who can stop at just one helping!? In our family, after the meal we all 'go horizontal' in order to ease our bellies from the overbearing fullness. Try picturing a family of giants (I'm the shortest at 5'9'') all piled up on the couch and floor, just waiting for our metabolisms to get to work. It's embarrassing and so fun.

Last year I tried make my family go super healthy for the holidays. Yep. I was that girl. We made mashed cauliflower and tried to pass it off as mashed potatoes. No one was fooled. Well, I realise that while it is important to be health conscious year-round (holidays included), we can compromise a little. Moderation not deprivation, right!? So, here are a few healthier recipes for this years dinner table. Try one and tell me what your family members thing (after all, they're our toughest critics).

** this recipe sounds delicious with its use of herbs and cider!

** a little healthy with a little of the good stuff - the perfect compromise!!

** a great new recipe to try if you're going gluten-free this year!!

** brussel sprouts are my absolute FAVOURITE. I eat them roasted with a smidge of olive oil and a light dosing of lemon pepper. yum.

** another healthy side option.

** save the marshmallows for your cocoa and make a healthier sweet potato casserole.

** there's nothing wrong with pumpkin pie, but if you're looking for a lower-calorie alternative, here are a few unique suggestions. or, just something to try throughout the week like pumpkin waffles!


If you happen to overindulge on Thanksgiving (don't we all?), I'll be teaching a SPINNING class at 5:45am Friday morning (November 23rd). Skip the Black Friday Shopping and come burn a few calories with me at the YMCA. Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment