Tuesday, September 11, 2012

back by popular demand!!

hiya guys! here's the scoop:

I've submitted my dissertation, I've returned home to good 'ole America, and I'm ready to get this ball rolling (again). It's time to put that education to good use. I've been getting quite a few comments about starting this advice column back up and I can't think of a better time to do so.

I'm back at the local YMCA, teaching Spinning and I'm putting in thousands of applications for positions in health promotion. Until someone discovers my unmatched talent and obvious contribution to the world I'm going to start with YOU!! I hope you're ready for some serious butt-kicking.

Lets start with the basics. I want you to:

1. calculate your BMI (body mass index). this is a rough estimate of your body composition. follow the link below, enter your height and weight and use the key to distinguish your BMI category (i.e. "underweight", "normal weight", "overweight" or "obese")

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

2. next, I want you to calculate your calorie needs based on your age and physical activity level. this calculator will provide you with a rough estimate of how many calories you should consume daily in order to maintain your weight/lose weight depending on your goal(s). use the following link:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

3. make a plan. keep a food diary. those who keep documentation of their progress are often more successful at achieving their goals than those who don't record meals, snacks and/or workouts. I love caloriecount.about.com - it allows you to create meals, look for healthy recipes, keep an online food diary and search for calorie expenditure by exercise. give it a try! set a goal and develop a timeline. for example, "I will be able to run a 5k by October 30th" or "I will avoid all processed foods and drop 10 pounds by Thanksgiving", etc.

4. tell a friend. tell me, tell your spouse, tell your sister, your workout buddy, whoever!! just tell someone. it provides you with a support system and accountability. better yet, get your friend to join you in achieving your goal(s).



so here's mine: since returning home from the UK I've fallen off the yogi-wagon completely!! in the past yoga has kept me loose and injury-free. my goals are to plug myself into a yoga class at least once a week, renew my spinning certification by the end of 2012 and start training for a half marathon.
what are yours??

No comments:

Post a Comment